8.18.2004

MLM - History, Science Or Art?

Lately, I have been evaluating my experience in MLM in determining my personal effectiveness. I have poured myself into books on technique, sought out information at various websites, and purchased audio programs promising to reveal some elusive component in my business approach. I admit that, from most, I did learn something new. I have tried my best to integrate these new skills and concepts.

I am developing this conclusion about what I view as central themes in a great deal of this information. Perhaps, not surprisingly, I see these elements are used within the "pitch" of many MLMs as well.

History
I admit that I am fascinated by history and I have a strong interest in the origin and evolution of MLM. In much of the information I have reviewed, there is usually some historical perspective offered to assist (prepare) the reader for what is to follow. And what follows, in most of what I have read, is the unveiling of a "radical" new technique or the introduction of some new "scripting" for the business developer. MLM companies use history as a method of validation for their pay plan, their training system, or their unique products. Have you ever heard any of these?

Our compensation plan is the oldest and most widely recognized for fairness and stability.

Our system is responsible for sponsoring more new people than any in the last 20 years.

Our company has produced more new millionaires in the U.S. than any other business.

Revisionist history meet hype.

Science
The companies I have been involved with have each had specific recommendations on "how" to build your business. This is good, I guess, because this is the second most asked question by anyone getting started in this type of business. The first being, "how much does it cost?" These companies have presented logical and compelling arguments for developing their respective "things to do" lists for new recruits. I agree that it is important to have defined steps as part of the goal setting mechanism. I also agree that it is necessary to provide a starting point for "first-timers" in the business. I suppose the issue I have with this "scientific" approach is the assumption that MLM is a "one size fits all" type of business. Whether a company uses an 8-step pattern or a 6-step approach or whatever they choose to call it, I believe they neglect to consider marketplace evolution. By that I mean, the consumer or prospect becomes more sophisticated, more particular, and more aware of this methodology and now has the ability to see it coming a mile away. Companies using these "patterns" tend to clutch tightly to them because they have enjoy some level of success in the past and may actual draw their corporate identity from teaching a system of "duplication". This will start the whirlpool of ineffectiveness for more and more new recruits that experience an antiquated system being applied to a more progressive target market.

Art
This brings me to my belief that, to be truly effective in MLM, one needs to be creative. Seek out innovative new approaches and utilize new technologies. Most importantly though, I believe it is critical to present yourself as the key component of your business. After all the historical significance of your company wears away and all the science of the vaunted training system crumbles, what do you have left? Exactly what you started with - YOU. You can have the best product, the best system, the richest history behind your business but people are going to make their final decision on how they perceive you. I suggest you lose the stuffiness of being the oldest MLM in the universe. I suggest you integrate your training to solve core competencies you may need as a business person. I suggest you reject the notion that attempting to clone yourself according to any standard presented in your companies continuing education.
Do you want to have fun in this business? Do you want to establish stronger relationships with your associates? Do you want to feel pride in deserving the income you are earning?

My belief is that you stand a much better chance of achieving success and answer those questions by simply allowing yourself to be you. A good friend once said to me, "you just need to follow your muses". Being yourself, and presenting your business honestly, will garner you far better results than molding yourself into a "proven" formula.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home